Monday, June 15, 2009

Who Is This Curt Phillips Person Anyway? - Curt Phillips

"Do you like Edgar Rice Burroughs?" a voice next to me asked. I looked up at a pleasant looking older woman who'd sat down nearby. I said that I did, and she asked if I'd read any of his Martian series. Well, *this* was interesting. This lady who looked a little like my grandmother knew about Burroughs, and as we talked it turned out that she knew a lot more about Burroughs than I did. And Ray Bradbury too. And also Heinlein and all the other writers that I liked. I don't know how long we talked, but I was sitting there explaining a famous Bradbury story - while she listened politely and nodded in the right places - when someone walked over to her and handed her a book. She took a pen from her purse and wrote something in it and handed it back. And then someone else came over with a whole shopping bag full of books. Intrigued by this, I edged over to see what she was writing and learned that my new friend, this grandmotherly lady who'd so politely listened to me explain Ray Bradbury, was Leigh Brackett.

Later that afternoon I got her to sign a book for me too. It's still one of my prized posessions."


5 out of 5

http://www.freewebs.com/absarka/

No comments:

Post a Comment